- For first time parents, I highly recommend taking a childbirth preparation class, whether it’s my 3 week series or classes offered somewhere else. For an additional fee, I also offer private classes in the convenience of your own home.
- It is of the utmost importance to be educated and informed.
- Knowing how your body works in labor, learning breathing techniques & labor positions… makes a huge difference.
- Unlimited phone, email and text support before, during and after birth.
- On call from 37 weeks until baby is born.
- Please call or email to inquire about my doula services, fees, availability and packages.
- Please do not let finances determine whether or not you have a doula present at your birth. I believe every woman deserves a doula if she wants one. Together, we can work something out. If I am unable to serve you I will do my best to find a doula who can.
- Serving Los Angeles, West Hollywood, Hollywood, Silverlake, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Culver City, Santa Monica and Studio City.
Prenatal Home Visits
During early labor you are to call or text me. If needed I will provide phone support and guidance. In person support begins at home or place of delivery when there’s a shift in the contractions. What I mean by that is that the contractions are becoming more demanding. They are getting stronger, longer and closer together. During labor & birth I support you and your partner with pain coping skills, massage, emotional support, advocacy and encouragement. Being a lactation educator, I am qualified to assist you with early breastfeeding and postpartum care. Doulas are usually the only continuous support you’ll receive during labor and delivery.
What is a Doula?
A Birth Doula does not replace the husband or partner but helps facilitate involvement at his her her own comfort level.
- Recognizes birth as a key experience the mother will remember all her life.
- Understands the physiology of birth and the emotional needs of a woman in labor.
- Assists the woman in preparing for and carrying out her plans for birth.
- Stays with the woman throughout the labor.
- Provides emotional support, physical comfort measures and an objective viewpoint, as well as helping the woman get the information she needs to make informed decisions.
- Facilitates communication between the laboring woman, her partner and her clinical care providers.
- Perceives her role as nurturing and protecting the woman’s memory of the birth experience.
- Allows the woman’s partner to participate at his/her comfort level.
A birth doula certified by DONA International is designated by the initials CD(DONA).
Why use a Doula?
Women have complex needs during childbirth and the weeks that follow. In addition to medical care and the love and companionship provided by their partners, women need consistent, continuous reassurance, comfort, encouragement and respect. They need individualized care based on their circumstances and preferences.
DONA International Doulas are educated and experienced in childbirth and the postpartum period. We are prepared to provide physical (non-medical), emotional and informational support to women and their partners during labor and birth, as well as to families in the weeks following childbirth.
We offer a loving touch, positioning and comfort measures that make childbearing women and families feel nurtured and cared for.
Numerous clinical studies have found that a doula’s presence at birth
- tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- reduces negative feelings about one’s childbirth experience
- reduces the need for pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- reduces the mother’s request for pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can:
- Feel more secure and cared for
- Are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- Have greater success with breastfeeding
- Have greater self-confidence
- Have less postpartum depression
- Have lower incidence of abuse